Banking Awareness: Remarkable Moments In Banking History
Indian banks have a fascinating history, which you should be proud of.
First bank established in India: Bank of Hindustan in 1770
- The first bank to be managed by Indian Board is Oudh Commercial Bank. It is not functional now.
- First Commercial Bank is the Central Bank of India (CBI) that was opened up in 1911.
- First Insurance Company in India is the Oriental Life Insurance Company, which was established in 1818.
- First Indian bank got ISO: Canara Bank.
- First Bank to introduce Credit Card in India: Central Bank of India.
- First Joint Stock Bank of India: Allahabad Bank.
- First Bank that is the oldest Public Bank in India: Allahabad Bank.
- First Public Sector Bank to issue capital to the public is Oriental Bank of Commerce.
- First bank to introduce savings account in India: Presidency Bank in 1833.
- The first bank to introduce a cheque system in India: Bengal Bank in 1833.
- The first bank to introduce internet banking: ICICI bank.
- The first bank to introduce mutual fund: State Bank of India.
- A first national bank that is merged with Punjab National Bank: New Bank of India in 1993.
- First Indian bank to open a branch outside India in London in 1946: Bank of India.
- First Indian Bank started with Indian capital /indigenous Bank of India: Punjab National Bank.
- First Multi-currency international Debit Cards are issued in India by: SBI.
- The first bank to introduce credit card in India: Central Bank of India.
- First Financial Archive in India has been set up at – Kolkata.
- The first RRB named Prathama Grameen Bank was started by Syndicate Bank.
- First Bank to introduce ATM in India: HSBC in1987, Mumbai.
- First Bank in India to launch EMI facility on debit cards: ICICI Bank.
- First Indian Private Bank to set up a branch in China: AXIS Bank.
- First Foreign Bank in India: HSBC.
- First Universal Bank in India: ICICI.